quinta-feira, 3 de abril de 2014

Sunset Boulevard - trabalho criativo de Ricardo Rodrigues

It’s amazing what people will do for money, or status, but mainly money.
Take me, for instance. An average man in his thirties, average looking, not athletic nor out of shape, with no skills or qualifications that make him stand out from the rest of the herd. What could I have ever done to satiate my hunger for a superior lifestyle, to indulge in my proclivities for fast cars, high-end tailored suits and houses with spacious quarters and outdoor pools? I did what every person whose desperation rendered him/her devoid of any values and morals whatsoever would have done: at the sight of an ajar opening, I schemed and made sure every step of that plan went as smoothly as it possibly could.
The opportunity laying behind a washed up Hollywood actress who suddenly takes up an interest in you and sees qualities in you that even your parents have failed to do so for twenty-something years entails many things, and you have to be willing to make certain trade offs.
Like anything in this world, the chips you have to offer are just that, a currency. Exchange your ephemeral relationships with twenty year old bimbos for a Porsche, your old circle of friends for a gamut of the most exquisite perfumes money can buy, your pride and sense of self-respect for a reasonably sized pool and a private tennis court.
Good thing I tried to earn a few bucks working as a script writer, otherwise the cliché of a plan never unfolding as originally devised would have taken me by surprise at a rather critical moment.
You see, there is a reason why washed up artists are a breed usually kept at a distance, and that same reason is, in all likelihood, why they became washed to begin with. My newly found better half’s mental instability coalesced with an overwhelming sense of greatness and self-importance made her jealousy fits nothing to be sneezed at, and the revolver she kept in her night drawer had already taken several hours of sleep from me.
To tell you the truth, part of my doing was also fuelled by how much I missed former aspects of my life, only this time there would be no trade offs of any kind as I now had newly acquired tastes and habits I wasn’t inclined to relinquish.
So I went back to scheming. I turned the tables and used my wife’s aforementioned mental instability in my favour.
Spending an entire night blatantly glaring at other – younger – women, I then decided to call one of my old female friends and made certain that eavesdropping on our conversation would have been fairly easy. With the ball now on her side of the field, she played her role as expected.
I guess luck had its part on it as well, seeing as the third bullet held in her revolver was not a blank, and the coroner luckily wasn’t acquainted with drugs that temporarily simulate death.
With the money I had gradually drained off of her account on a weekly basis and was now safely stashed away, I had joined the best of both worlds and was on my way to a carefree, ostentatious lifestyle. God if you had seen the face of the paramedic when the supposed drowning victim got up, opened the ambulance’s rear door and walked off, that alone would have been worth this whole hassle.
Back when I was coming up with storylines for films and TV shows they called me a hack. Well, how’s this for a Hollywood script?


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário